Friday 3 February 2012

Tot School: Week 18

Tot Trays: Week 18  a.k.a OCD Mom Week

Tiger is 19.5 months
Little Dragon is 16 weeks :)

OCD: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

After a few weeks of preparation and another week of celebration for CNY, we are officially picking up from where we left off.

Tiger really enjoyed the past 2 weeks of crafty goodness. He called his handprint dragon "chop-chop". I think it was his favourite =)

After spending some time looking back at the previous posts, I came to realize that we were slacking a little in some areas and leaning heavily towards trays and crafts. We have not been practicing our Chinese as well. My bad...

So, in order to restore some balance to our schedule, I have decided to lay out the trays according these headings: This is where the OCD comes in

1. Math
2. Music
3. Language/Chinese
4. Sensorial
5. Practical life
6. Puzzle

These are Montessori-inspired and planned according to Tiger's interest and my observations:

Math
    I have laid out his 'Doman' math dots cards (for flashing)with some beads.
    He did not enjoy the tray very much the last time,
    so I added some colourful math flashcards (no numerals) and his abacus (not in pic)

    Music
     Musical note 'd'
    His corresponding flashcards, tuning fork and bell

    Puzzle
    This Melissa and Doug puzzle is his CNY gift from his 'ang pow' money.
    I have decided that he gets to use roughly 5% of his money for spending every year.
    The rest goes into our joint account/college fund.
    He will have to calculate the amount if he wants the money when he is older.
    If he gets it wrong, NO PRESENT!!
    Did I mention that I am evil?

    This puzzle is actually easy for Tiger but for some reason he loves it.
    Since it is self-correcting, he doesn't require any help.
    He practices phonics with this as well.

    Sensorial
    Since I wasn't going to spend a fortune on the pink tower, this is our replacement =)
    We are also practicing our colours with these.
    I think Tiger's colour blind :p
    Everything's purple, occasionally blue.

    Language
    Since he has been showing some interest in Chinese lately, we are focusing a little more on these.
    We are repeating the series again, this time with corresponding cards.


    Practical life
    Dry pouring with heart-shaped clear beads (in preparation for Valentine's)
    I wanted to use beans or rice but the thought of picking them up over and over wasn't too thrilling.
     


    Home practice basket
    His ESP, linking memory and speed play materials
    I have prepared the pre primer Dolch as well.
    He used to hate flash cards, so we'll see how this goes
    I am a whole word & phonics lover. So, we'll do both.


    Phonics station
    This is a new addition to his room since he is rather keen on phonics
    We are starting with the commonest letters s, n, a, p, i, t
    He already knows s, a, p, i; therefore this is not a lot.
     

    Tiger's never really been a fan of flashcards and I have not pushed him.
    This week, we are a little heavy on the cards but if he isn't keen,
    I'll remove them and bring in the back-up trays. Again the OCD-ness....

    Linking up to



    6 comments:

    Happyscrapper42 said...

    Ok I am amazed at what you are introducing at 19 months and what it seems he is able to do. Some of these activities seem so developmentally advanced for 19 months. I may have to reevaluate my trays- lol

    Jessica_littletiger said...

    Thank you for the comment :)

    Tiger's a little advanced in terms of cognition and motor skills. Usually, if he does not enjoy the tray (being too easy or advanced), I just replace it with something else. Of all of the trays above, he only ignored the Chinese one. Bummer ;(

    His speech has just started blooming at the rate of 1 word per day. So, I am actually taking advantage of this and pushing him a little more this week.

    Sierra @ H is for Homeschooling said...

    Do you guys speak Chinese and English in your home, then? I try to encourage my husband to speak Chinese to the kids but since he speaks English at work and with me, it doesn't come as naturally as when we visit my in-laws. I wish I had taken Chinese in college instead of French! What was I thinking?!

    You were smart to use the hearts for dry pouring. When we did rice and soy beans, they were everywhere and it was driving me crazy! He would help with picking them up usually but still.

    Thanks for linking up to WOTT!

    Jessica_littletiger said...

    Hi Sierra,

    We speak to Tiger in English and Chinese. Sometimes, I repeat my words in both languages just to help him learn as much as possible.

    Since I speak to my MIL and husband in Chinese, he does get quite a bit of exposure as well.

    I wish I can speak French. I am trying to pick it up but man, its tough...

    甯妈妈 said...

    Hi,Jessica,May i know where u bought the Melissa and Doug puzzle in the picture?thanks.

    Jessica_littletiger said...

    Hi, I got the puzzle from Toy Rus.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...